What Is PIP Insurance?
PIP, or Personal Injury Protection, also known as “no-fault” car insurance, is insurance that covers your medical bills or lost wages when you or your passengers are injured in a car accident. PIP covers the medical costs related to injuries a person sustains in an accident regardless of who was at-fault in the accident; and while PIP coverage is optional in most states, it is mandated by the State of Florida for all drivers.
Every state has different rules and laws as they relate to PIP coverage, and Florida, like many states, has its own set of special laws and regulations. Florida law requires vehicle owners to carry at least $10,000 in PIP coverage. Florida law also requires anyone seeking benefits under PIP to seek medical treatment within 14 days of the car accident. If you do not seek medical treatment within 14 days of your accident then you may be ineligible to receive benefits under PIP. For that reason, it is extremely important that you visit the Emergency Room or see a doctor as soon as possible if you have been involved in a car accident. If you do not see a doctor within 14 days of your accident then you may end up stuck with thousands of dollars in out-of-pocket expenses.
In Florida, PIP Insurance covers medical costs, lost wages and death benefits. In fact, most medical costs, including but not limited to medical services, medication, surgical services, rehab costs, diagnostic services and ambulatory services are covered by PIP. However, only 80% of your medical costs will be covered by PIP. For example, if you had $10,000 in medical costs, PIP will only cover $8,000 worth of your bills. Oftentimes, an individual’s health insurance will cover the outstanding balance, but if that individual does not have health insurance then they may be required to pay their medical bills out of pocket.
PIP will pay for 60% of your lost wages as well (subject to the $10,000 limit). This coverage includes hourly jobs, salaried positions or services like doing laundry, cleaning the house and taking care of pets. Your lawyer can seek payment for the other 40% of your lost wages from the at-fault driver in your personal injury claim. If you are seeking benefits under PIP for lost wages, then you are required to have your employer complete a wage and salary verification for that lists your gross wages for the 13 weeks preceding the incident. PIP will also cover $5,000 worth of death benefits, which are in addition to any medical or disability benefits provided under the policy.
If you have been injured in a car accident then you should contact the Law Office of Matthew C. Williams to discuss your rights and determine whether or not you are eligible to receive PIP benefits. Attorney Williams can also help you navigate the PIP insurance process to make sure you are receiving the maximum benefits under PIP. Depending on the facts of your case, we may be able to hold the at-fault driver or vehicle owner accountable for their negligence in a personal injury claim as well. There are many benefits to retaining a lawyer after you were injured in a car accident. Matthew Williams and his legal team focus primarily on personal injury matters and they take pride in having a personal relationship with their clients. Attorney Williams treats his clients like family because he knows what they are dealing with is always more than just a case, and he refuses to let adjusters, defense lawyers, or big insurance stand in the way of getting his clients what they deserve. He obtains results for his clients and he’ll do the same for you, so give The Law Office of Matthew Williams a call to find out what your case is worth today.